- Q: How important is it for a small-to-medium retail business to be able to streamline systems and processes across more than one location?
- A: I think it's is a big issue. You reach a tipping point when you're running a retail chain, between maybe five and 15 outlets. Then you can't get around to all those stores in one day to solve problems yourself. You must have the systems in place to take over. If not, you can end up wasting time and labour resources.
- Q: In the case of staff rostering and management, what happens when you don't have an effective system across stores?
- A: You either have too many staff in a place where there aren't enough sales, or you have too few staff and you miss sales. So you're either spending too much on labour or you're missing an opportunity. A good rostering tool will allow you to balance labour against a prediction of where the sales are going to be.
- Q: How is the new generation of cloud apps making a difference to staff management?
- A: Traditionally, rostering software has been on a store-based server or a central server. So you have to spend money on upgrades for hardware and software. It's also time-consuming going to each store in a retail chain and upgrading staff management software. Whereas in the cloud it's so much easier. It means you're not tying up physical and capital resources. With cloud-based tools you can simply use them as you need them.
- Q: Looking at the business bottom line, what can these apps deliver for retailers?
- A: They can save on capital outlays and make it faster and easier to get the right staff resources in the right place at the right time. Compared to older rostering systems, taking the cloud path can be a big advantage, especially for smaller retailers.